Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Frog Princess


Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess who lived in a gorgeous castle surrounded by breathtaking mountains and lovely little streams. One day, while the princess was enjoying a beautiful day out near a pond in her far far away land, a frog approached her. To her great surprise, he started talking to her.

“My dear lady, a wicked witch once transformed me into a frog,” he croaked, “but if a princess kisses me, the spell will be broken. If you kiss me, I can move into your amazing castle with my mother, you can cook for me, wash my clothes, and take care of our children. So, what do you say?”

That evening, while the princess was enjoying frog legs in a mouthwatering bĂ©arnaise sauce, she thought to herself and said, “Thanks, but no thanks.”


I used this story for a writing and listening activity with my Elementary level adult students. I couldn’t resist the temptation and ask my female students how they felt about the princess’ actions. To my surprise, their answer would not turn out to be generational, but would depend on their social and educational background. I had both younger and older students agreeing and disagreeing with the princess.

No comments: