Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ford Ironman World Championship (11/10/08)

IRONMAN = 3.8 km swim – 180 km bike – 42 km run

The big boys are slowly starting to arrive in idyllic Kona for the Ford Ironman World Championship: a legendary race on boiling lava-covered roads with an unforgiving wind. This is by far the most important race on any ironman’s calendar, elite or age-grouper alike. The lucky few who have won the right to book their Kona plane tickets, all went to a grueling training routine that allowed them to qualify for the epitome of long-distance triathlon.

I have never competed in an Ironman, and I must admit, I find it a completely different discipline from what I have done so far. I’m not sure if I ever will as I’m still having a debate with myself if I would actually like it. I thoroughly enjoyed the half ironman I did recently, but an Ironman is still another story. If I ever do it, I want to reach certain targets, and that would mean a sub-three hour marathon for a starter. That’s not a big deal in a normal marathon, but it is in an Ironman. Anyways, if I do an Ironman, it won’t be before 2010.

Thanks to Luc Van Lierde, Kona has reached mythical proportions for Belgian triathletes. In this year’s race, we have no less than five athletes who have the capabilities of finishing in the top fifteen. Marino Vanhoenacker could even win the race. Nevertheless, I believe the Aussies are going to dominate again as they did last year. I’m going to put my money on Craig Alexander. I met him a few years ago at the Laguna Phuket Triathlon in Thailand, and although he is an absolute superstar, he was very much down-to-earth. Winning in Kona would be a deserved accolade for his fantastic career. Here’s my top 5:

1. Craig Alexander (Aus)
2. Chris McCormack (Aus)
3. Marino Vanhoenacker (Bel)
4. Eneko Llanos (Esp)
5. Luc Van Lierde (Bel)

Craig Alexander

For the women’s race, it’ll be toss up between Chrissie Wellington (Gbr) and Samantha McGlone (Can). I think Chrissie will win thanks to her fantastic run.

I’d like to wish Carmen from Malaysia good luck. She qualified for her age group through the Langkawi Ironman in February. Enjoy the race, soak up the atmosphere, and most of all have fun. Being there is an amazing achievement in itself.

Carmen

No comments: