Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The wedding planner

As I was walking down the stairs from class, one of my Vietnamese teaching assistants gave me an invitation card for yet another wedding. “Who’s getting married?” I asked her. “Mai is”, she replied. I had to think for a second and then it hit me. The first thing that came up in my head was “you’ve got to be kidding me.”

Am I working at a school or am I in the middle of a soap opera without knowing it? A bit like Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. Our dear bride-to-be used to have an affair with one of our teachers. Obviously, she kept a Vietnamese boyfriend on the side, but he was kept in the dark about her little romance. Then again, this being Vietnam, I’m sure he has a few girlfriends on the side too.

The ironic thing is, the above mentioned teacher only left our school two weeks ago. They sure don’t take a lot of time to take care of business in Vietnam.

No comments: