Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I guess I'm a lazy bastard

Last night, I covered uncountable and countable nouns in my intermediate adult class. I gave certain instructions and the students had to write a noun compatible with 6 different quantifiers. One of the instructions went as followed: Write down some things you can buy with your salary.

The first person to complete the instruction was my female student Van. She gave her answers and concluded the exercise by saying “and only one husband”. I couldn’t resist the temptation and had to ask her how much she was willing to give for a husband. She gave quite an ambiguous answer and I continued by asking her how it would work. Do you go to a room with a big glass window and you just choose the candidate you like most? I like number five, please. And then suddenly she said: “Don’t worry teacher, I wouldn’t want to buy you. You’re too lazy. You’re never home and never cook your own meals. I can’t rely on you, especially if I have children.”

I spontaneously started laughing. How could I argue? I am lazy to cook my own meals. Why would I when I can buy them all prepared and ready to eat for US$ 2? I think I’m going to stick to my laziness.

No comments: